Thursday, February 13, 2014

Drugstore Makeup: 10 Products to Try Right Now

When you step onto the beauty isles at any drugstore or your favorite discount store such as Target, it can be very overwhelming and sometimes all too difficult to pick out products that you are going to use and love. There are so many drug store makeup and beauty products out there, and without any guidance in-store we are very much on our own when it comes to navigating the makeup maze. So I thought I would tell you about a few products I think are worth buying right now.

1. L'Oreal Magic Anti-Redness Correcting Primer


 
This primer truly is magic. Don't let its green color intimidate you, this powerful primer goes on so smooth and will absolutely reduce any redness you might have. You can put this on your face and literally watch the redness disappear right before your eyes.  I find it comparable to the Smashbox color correcting primer; it delivers the same results for less than half the price.   I am super impressed with this drugstore primer. For $7.99 at Target, this is a no-brainer.
 

2.  CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation

 

This liquid foundation claims to be a 3-in-1 foundation, which means it has primer, coverage, and concealer all in one. I purposefully tried this without my primer and was pleasantly surprised at the result. I did however use concealer so to me 2 out of 3 isn't too shabby. This foundation is not only full coverage but it has sunscreen in it. An SPF of 20 in my foundation is ok by me. Personally, I don't like to use a moisturizer with SPF so I love when it is offered in the foundation itself. Overall, if you are looking to try a new liquid foundation, I'd give this one a go.   I bought mine at target for around $10.00.
 

Just a little side note: Liquid foundation at the department store can be tricky business. Finding the right color is not always easy and often times I buy what I think matches my face, just to get it home and be completely wrong. The key to buying something that matches your face is knowing your basic undertone (Cool, neutral, or warm) and your general shade (fair, light, medium, or dark) I for example, fall in the "neutral" category and my general makeup shade is "light." It does very brand to brand but I'm usually in the light range across the board.  If you want to know more about finding your perfect shade in foundation at the drugstore, just let me know and I'd be happy to write a post about it.


3. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser: Dark Circles

 
 
These small concealer sticks pack a big punch when it comes to under eye coverage. Not only does it visibly reduce puffiness right away (which I can personally attest to,) but it also claims to erase the appearance of fine lines and dark circles. It has goji berry and other ingredients that do more for your skin than just give you temporary coverage. Who doesn't love products with added skin benefits?! This little baby delivers the coverage that satisfies my constant need to cover up my dark circles and the sponge at top makes it super easy to apply. You get quite a bit of product for the price, so I think it's totally worth trying out for yourself, especially if you struggle with dark circles like me. I bought this at target for around $8.00.
 

4. L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter 

 
 
 I consider this a makeup dupe for the Mac Prep and Prime Highlighter. This highlighter didn't offer me the full concealer coverage I usually like to have, but it did add the perfect tone for highlighting my inner cheeks and under eye area. If you like to use a liquid highlight in your makeup routine I would definitely try this one. I found it at Target for $10.99. 

5. e.l.f Studio Golden Bronzer

 
 
 When it comes to makeup, you can't get much better then a palette that serves more than one purpose. Although it's called a bronzer it can be used as blush, as a highlight for the cheek bones, and even as eye shadow. You can mix and match the shades to get various colors and looks, or use them individually, all of which come out glowing and beautiful; and it has great pigmentation too. For $3.00 at Target or online, you are practically committing cosmetic theft. I think this is a must have in everyone's makeup bag.

6. Maybelline Master Hi-Light Blush

 

This is brand new to the Maybelline makeup line so of course my curiosity got the best of me, and I just had to try it out. I mean, it's pink and sparkly...I basically had no self-control when I saw it in there on the shelf. I tried this in the color "nude"  so I can only speak for this shade, but I just loved the color it gave to my cheeks. It turns out to be the softest shade of pink once its applied to the face and it has the perfect amount of sparkle to add an understated glow. I suggest you try it in the color that seems prettiest to you; if the formula is the same, you shouldn't be disappointed. I purchased mine at Target for $8.99
 

7. L'Oreal Magic De-Crease Eyelid Primer

 

 As someone who isn't easily impressed by eye-primers, I was instantly excited when I tried this one. In the past I had pretty much written off all eye shadow primers and their false promises to increase pigment, decrease discoloration, and blah, blah, blah. I have never had any eyelid primer to actually do everything it claims to do until this little surprise came along. I've only tried this eye primer once but when I did, I noticed it smoothed out any discoloration on my lid and held the eye shadow in place  I applied over it all day, with out creasing. Thanks L'Oreal, for giving us an eye primer actually worth purchasing. Find it at Target for $7.99

8. e.l.f Studio Makeup Remover Pen

 
 

Someone at e.l.f. Studios deserves a gold metal for this one. Perfect for liquid liner blunders or mascara mishaps, this pen will make your life easier when it comes to applying eye makeup. It's gentle on your skin so it would irritate that sensitive area around your eyes. This has made eyeliner application so much easier for me. Find it at Target or online for $3.00.
 

9. Maybelline Color Elixir Lip Color

 

These glosses go on like butter and are richly pigmented in some of the prettiest shades I've seen this season, as far as lip gloss is concerned. After you apply this product for your pout, it's creamy texture leaves your lips feeling moisturized, not sticky like most color-rich lip glosses. For $8.99 these are a steal; but be careful, once you buy one you're going to want it in every color! (my favorite shade is Petal Plush)
 

10. e.l.f Lip Balm SPF 15

 

I am a lip balm junkie, but I rarely find a tinted one that actually makes my heart sing. This little jewel I found hidden away in Target makeup heaven was so pleasantly surprising to me. It has a cool minty tingle to it that makes your lips feel instantly refreshed. I never have too high expectations when it comes to the color stay of tinted lip balms but this one is truly unbeatable. The color is beautiful (the one I own is in the shade "Pink") and my lips feel completely smooth and refreshed after just one application.This balm with benefits sells for $3.00 at Target stores.
 

 The drugs store today has so many great little beauty gems just waiting to make our faces and our wallets happy. Let me know what products you are loving right now. :)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment